You are finite, Zathras is finite. This..... is wrong tool.




Sunday, March 21, 2010

Today was not the relaxing day I envisioned in yesterday's post. We overslept a bit for church, but still managed to get there easily on time. Afterwards, I had to pick up a file for court tomorrow. Oh yes. I AM GOING TO BE IN COURT TOMORROW. More on this later. Anyhow, after church we went to my in-laws before heading to the GAI for sauerkraut lunch. I don't love sauerkraut, but it's not bad. When mixed with some pork and mashed potatoes, it's actually quite tasty; you just need to get the ratio right.

After we got home, our boy was a little on the sleepy side, but wasn't really able to take a nap, so we decided to take a walk up to the library. We had to return The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and Watchmen, and we also took back the books we'd checked out for Nathaniel. We looked around for a while, and picked up Citizen Kane, and Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. I also got a book, Game Time by Matthew Lewis, the author of Moneyball. It's about his experiences as a father, I gather unexpectedly. I am hoping that it gives me some idea of what I might be supposed to do in the upcoming months and years, because I'm sort of winging it at the moment, and I'm not quite sure that "fake it until you make it" applies to parenting. I need to really plan to read this book, though, because I am notorious for overdue fines, especially since I've spent the better part of a decade never worrying about them (as a library and/or University Employee, or retaining that status due to a clerical error that I never felt the need to correct.)

I sort of have mixed feelings about libraries. I love them, and I love that I can get books there for research in particular, but generally as well. I like that when I can't really afford to buy a bunch of books, I can still read them from the library, but I also really want to own my books. I'm not like Teddy Roosevelt, who ripped up pages as he read magazines (just to prove he's consumed them,) but I do like to put a book on my shelf as a sort of trophy perhaps after I've read it. Even if I doubt I'd ever read it again, there's something comforting in knowing that it's there. It's probably why I started my other blog, which I don't think I'll be updating tonight.

After the library, we stopped in at Dairy Queen for a blizzard, and chatted with my mom for a bit. We took our time so that Nathaniel could sleep in the stroller for a while longer. When we got home, I started a David Sedaris audiobook while cooking squash soup. The soup was thinner than usual, but the ginger content I think was a bit more measured, which I hope was more to Stephanie's liking. I (and my dad) love ginger, and would add a lot more of it to most dishes for myself, and in larger pieces, but while Stephanie likes ginger, she doesn't like it to overpower the flavor of her food, and prefers it minced more finely.

Tomorrow morning, I have my court date for my clinic case. It's a divorce, and it's expected to go via default, so we're on the mass default hearing, meaning we'll show up at 9 AM, and probably spend the whole morning waiting for our case to be called. We'll be before a referee rather than a judge, but I am nevertheless rather nervous about it. I'll need to ask my client a number of questions, and while I have given her the list ahead of time, and she seems ready for them, I am afraid that something will go wrong at the trial, or that I'll stumble over my words. Always in trial practice class, or clinic simulations, I tend to break the fourth wall in order to make myself feel a little more comfortable, but there isn't a fourth wall in this situation; it's the real thing. I'll need to go get my suit and shirt and tie ready this evening before bed, perhaps including some ironing, so I'd best bring this to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment