You are finite, Zathras is finite. This..... is wrong tool.




Thursday, March 11, 2010

Today, I decided to finish tackling the bookshelf. I had already filled one Banker's Box with law school stuff, (which is why there's a hole in the middle shelf) leaving the shelf looking like this:
So I took all that, filled up a number of more boxes:

I'd guess there's probably $2,500 worth of textbooks there. 98% of my notes in law school were taken on my laptop, printed for the exams, and then recycled. It's amazing that I still have enough crap to fill these boxes. A friend described it all as "only good for a bonfire" which is true, but it's still all going to sit in the boxes for the foreseeable future. Hey, I've got to have something to put up in my future office to impress people.

Anyways, I finished with a shelf looking more like this:

What's left is the stuff I need to save for my research project--Provost Sullivan asked that we save the stuff for a year after publication in case there were any issues about copyright or plagiarism--and a few empty binders and folders for later use of some, yet to be determined use.

I got all the boxes pushed under the stairs out of the way, but easily enough reached to get the few things that I might want to have at hand when I begin to practice. It is satisfying to get all the books and stuff off the shelf, leaving more, well, shelf space to clean up the office. It's going to take a bit of thought to figure out exactly what I will be putting on the shelf, but it will be nice to have the space to play with. It's barely a dent in the problem that is the office, but it's a start, and it will enable the real work to begin. Maybe.

I'm thinking that I might take apart the Mac, and leave that desk open for regular desk use. But the office being in the basement, I just don't see it being used as a desk all that much; it's too cold for much use there, and I figure it will just end up covered in crap. That being said, I really do like the idea of having a workspace/office. We'll see how it ends up working out, though. If we stay in this house, I can see the current office being that space, although it would be laid out differently, with a lot of bookshelves, and a cleaner, single desk. BUt if we don't stay in this house, an office space will be a must as well. A "study" is something I pompously want to have.

But here in the present, I have to clean out our current office.

No comments:

Post a Comment