You are finite, Zathras is finite. This..... is wrong tool.




Friday, April 2, 2010

Fun

Nathaniel got to see his great-grandma and grandpa today, as my grandparents stopped by before heading north to Cloquet on their way home from Texas. They'd tried to stop by yesterday, but they would have gotten here around 5:45 at the absolute earliest, and with us having to leave by 6:15 or so to get to church it just didn't seem to make sense (so we went to the Wienery instead.)
They came over in the morning, and I began baking cheesecake for Easter. I have three made now, one large classic New York Style cheesecake and two chocolate cheesecakes. One of them is only about 5" in diameter; it's an extra for which we'll see if there's appetite on Easter or I will bring it in to the law school.
When it came time for 3:00 Mass, Nathaniel was napping, so we decided to try to make the 7:00 Tenebrae. In the meantime, I went to Costco with my parents to pick up some odds and ends. Mostly I was hoping that they would have a good deal on baby food, but it turns out they don't carry it. I nevetheless spent $95. Probably well spent, though. We hit a lot of traffic since we left at 4:00 and had forgotten that it was still a working Friday for most people. I used my phone a bit on the ride because we were talking about World Cup venues, and so I got a little car sick. The headache lasted until during church, even though I took ibuprofen.

Nathaniel was at first quite interested in looking around at the new church, but quickly became tired and got a little cranky. He wasn't actually crying or screaming much; he was just talking, but even if he's making happy sounding noises, it's hard to let him make noise in church, and trying to keep him quiet results in him becoming unhappy, so I spent time in the vestibule calming him down. We walked down to church because we figured that parking would mean we'd have to walk nearly as far even if we drove. There were actually very few people in the church, but it was only a 10 minute walk and probably easier than getting Nathaniel in and out of his car seat for such a short trip.

I'm going to head to bed shortly, and I think I'm going to try to read some comics tonight; something relatively mind-light. Perhaps the Infinity War or something that I actually remember relatively clearly from my childhood. I have been meaning to read the 2099 series, but I don't know if I feel up to beginning that just yet, as it's not my hard drive right now since it is a large file. (another thing I need to do is clear off a lot of the crap on this laptop, since I don't really know where all the space has gone.)
The iPad is released tomorrow, and pretty much the only thing that appeals about it would be reading comics on it. For that price, it's ridiculous, however, and I'd have to pay more for the comics and the reader given the nature of the product (Apple) so it's just a non-starter. I'm somewhat irritated that sites are running "alternatives to the iPad" stories, as if there was a need for the iPad, or that it filled some niche that had as-yet not been filled. In my eyes the thing is a relatively poor netbook. I'd rather get a convertible netbook to use as an e-book reader at this point; it would be more versatile and easier to use for most purposes. The only thing it would lack is 3G, and I don't think that's a huge deal with how I'd be using it.

Tomorrow I'm going to the UMPD shooting range with Calder and a bunch of other law students to try my hand at shooting handguns. I'm not sure why this appealed to me beyond the idea of just experiencing something new, except that since Nathaniel was born (or a while before that, really,) I have been a little bit more conscious of security and safety for my family. If I weren't more concerned about the gun becoming a danger if found by a young child in my home, I'd consider having one around. I think it's crazy that I find myself considering that, but I guess it's some sort of protective instinct or some crazy thing like that. I know that I'd do pretty much anything in my power, including giving my life or taking another to save my family at this point. Or at least, I feel that way now; in a situation, who knows what would happen.
After that, I'm going to have to make the glaze for the cheesecake. I'm considering making a chocolate topping for the chocolate cheesecakes as well, but we'll see how I feel after the strawberry glaze, since that's a rather messy process.

No comments:

Post a Comment